80% of the American population has some form of gum disease. More teeth are lost due to gum disease than tooth decay. Periodontal disease is a bacterial infection that can be prevented. Alabama Family Dentistry’s patients are checked closely for periodontal disease. Hopefully you do not have this problem. However, if there are signs of periodontal disease and your disease process is not too advanced, Alabama Family Dentistry has special non surgical programs to assist you in gaining control of your problem. Routine dental check-ups are vital to keeping your smile healthy! Patients who wait too long in between check-ups and regular cleanings are usually the ones who encounter the most difficult dental situations.
Warning signs of periodontal disease:
- Bleeding gums when you brush or floss your teeth.
- Gums are red, swollen, or tender.
- Gums are pulling away from your teeth.
- Pus between teeth when gums are pressed.
- Teeth loose and separating.
- There are changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite.
- Change in the fit of partial dentures.
- Persistent bad breath.
The dental teams at Alabama Family Dentistry can help you better understand periodontal disease and how you can prevent it. They can quickly check and monitor the condition of your gums during your dental checkup. Your dentist may suggest a course of treatment that will help stop any further damage to your gums and bones. They will also design a homecare regimen for your specific needs.